(Of a word) placed after or as a suffix on the word that it relates to.
More example sentences
- Until the middle of the twentieth century the scholarly consensus was that Mark could not have ended with a postpositive particle or with such a shocking ending as ‘for they were afraid.’
- Among other particular features of Albanian and other Balkan languages are a postpositive definite article and the absence of a verbal infinitive.
nounBack to top
- More example sentences
- I'm interested in the origins of ‘I'm just saying’ used postpositively.
- ‘Aplenty’, ‘galore’, and the informal ‘extraordinaire’ are examples of adjectives that are primarily used postpositively in modern English.
More definitions of postpositiveDefinition of postpositive in:
- The British & World English dictionary