Definition of postpositive in English:
(Of a word) placed after or as a suffix on the word that it relates to.
- Until the middle of the twentieth century the scholarly consensus was that Mark could not have ended with a postpositive particle or with such a shocking ending as ‘for they were afraid.’
- Among other particular features of Albanian and other Balkan languages are a postpositive definite article and the absence of a verbal infinitive.
nounBack to top
A postpositive word.
- Example sentences
- I'm interested in the origins of ‘I'm just saying’ used postpositively.
- ‘Aplenty’, ‘galore’, and the informal ‘extraordinaire’ are examples of adjectives that are primarily used postpositively in modern English.
Definition of postpositive in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia