Definition of potato blight in English:
A destructive fungal disease of potatoes resulting in dry brown rot of the tubers.
- Early blight is caused by Alternaria solani (subdivision Deuteromycotina), and late blight is caused by Phytophthora infestans (subdivision Mastigomycotina)
- The trials will investigate the suitability of different potato varieties and the influence of soil fertility on potato blight.
- There have been warnings of late of potato blight and people with sowings of potatoes would be well advised to spray.
- But that changed 150 years ago, when Ireland's potato blight and Britain's refusal to bail out the Irish sent millions to the emigrant ships.
Definition of potato blight in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan