- A region within a force field in which the potential is significantly higher than at points on either side of it, so that a particle requires energy to pass through it.More example sentences
- There are radioactive nuclei that behave as if they contain certain constituents, called particles, that are trapped within the nucleus by a potential barrier generated by the nuclear forces.
- As long as the surface tension in the drop is larger than the repulsive Coulomb force due to the protons, a potential barrier prevents it from splitting.
- Electrostatic calculations revealed a potential barrier in the water phase some 0.5-1 nm away from the membrane surface.
More definitions of potential barrierDefinition of potential barrier in:
- The British & World English dictionary