verb[with object] • technical
- Increase the power, effect, or likelihood of (something, especially a drug or physiological reaction): the glucose will potentiate intestinal absorption of sodiumMore example sentences
- One drug does not therefore potentiate the adverse effects of another.
- It appears that both the antiplatelet aggregation activity as well as the analgesic action of aspirin 22 potentiates the effect of pentoxifylline.
- Because it appears to potentiate gamma-aminobutyric acid inhibitory neurotransmitters, it may potentiate anesthesia's sedative effects.
early 19th century: from potent1, on the pattern of substantiate.
More definitions of potentiateDefinition of potentiate in:
- The British & World English dictionary