Definition of poui in English:
noun (plural same or pouis)
A Caribbean and tropical American tree with trumpet-shaped flowers, grown as an ornamental and valued for its timber.
- Genus Tabebuia, family Bignoniaceae
- Depending on the month of your excursion the yellow poui, the red flamboyant, or the lavender jacaranda trees will be in bloom.
- The flowering poui trees that occupy the open spaces and parks were laid down by residents and many self-help projects were funded by having Carnival fêtes and other initiatives.
- Oh, I forgot to mention here that the annual blooming of our yellow poui trees started a few weeks back.
Mid 19th century: a local word in Trinidad.
Definition of poui in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.