- The results suggest that providing day care may be insufficient as a strategy to reduce poverty.
- The new kind of poverty was in the process of acquiring a revolutionary quality.
- Looking at this village now, it is hard to imagine the poverty that existed here 100 years ago.
- It shows a complete poverty of imagination and a vast amount of callousness.
- She is up against poverty of imagination, prudishness, bigotry and ladies locked into pain.
- The appointment is not a disaster, though it shows a poverty of imagination.
poor from Middle English:
The Latin word for ‘poor’ pauper, is the base of pauper (early 16th century), poverty (Middle English), and poor. The phrase poor as a church mouse, or ‘extremely poor’, comes from the notion that a church mouse must be particularly deprived as it does not have the opportunity to find pickings from a kitchen or larder, and there are few crumbs to be found in a well-swept church. You sometimes hear a wealthy young person whose money appears to bring them no happiness described as poor little rich girl (or boy). Though he did not coin the phrase, Noël Coward certainly popularized it with his 1925 song ‘Poor Little Rich Girl’.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.