Definition of power play in English:
1Tactics exhibiting or intended to increase a person’s power or influence: the sexual power play of their relationship the petty power plays of showbiz
More example sentences
- For all the intricacies of the spat, it smacks of political one-upmanship, petty power play and a healthy dose of ego juice.
- But ordinary people rejected his power play, reclaiming their nation's path through the ballot box.
- The 70s power play between political parties and the State institutions again defined the debate and ‘ideology’ related decisions.
2.1 Ice Hockey A situation in which a team has a numerical advantage over its opponents while one or more players is serving a penalty.
- He is killing penalties, working the power play, and playing against the other team's top players.
- The power play was terrible, but penalty killing was more than respectable (ninth overall).
- He is playing in key situations, both on the power play and on the penalty kill.
Definition of power play in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan