Definition of précis in English:
noun (plural same )
A summary or abstract of a text or speech.
- The precis accompanying the weekly summaries of incidents also make it possible to explore in more detail the deaths of individual policemen.
- You can read a brief precis of what he found by clicking here.
- The hero's journey, however, need not be anywhere as simplistic as in the brief precis above.
verb (précises /prāˈsēz, ˈprāsēz/, précised, précising)[with object] Back to top
Make a précis of (a text or speech).
- She wrote one of the best and most intelligent dissections of the case, and to precis her, she pointed out that Martin and the man had a lot in common.
- In order to do that successfully he will have to develop smart new ways of searching to find what he wants quickly and easily, and be able to access it instantaneously and precis it intelligently to give him exactly what he needs.
- Could somebody precis the conclusion for me please?
mid 18th century: from French précis, literally 'precise' (adjective used as a noun).