Definition of prairie dog in English:
A gregarious ground squirrel that lives in interconnected burrows that may cover many acres. It is native to the grasslands of North America.
- Genus Cynomys, family Sciuridae: several species
- For example, the prairie dog is a tremendous pest throughout the Western United States.
- The ferret's survival has forever been entwined with that of the prairie dog, a foot-tall rodent that makes up about 90 percent of the predator's diet.
- Many species depend on the prairie dog for food or habitat, such as the swift fox, burrowing owl, and ferruginous hawk.
Definition of prairie dog in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan