Definition of precession in English:
The slow movement of the axis of a spinning body around another axis due to a torque (such as gravitational influence) acting to change the direction of the first axis. It is seen in the circle slowly traced out by the pole of a spinning gyroscope.
- Einstein's theory predicts that such gyroscopes will undergo geodetic precession merely because space-time is curved in the planet's vicinity.
- Even Newtonian physics was unable to give a complete explanation of its orbit: the direction of the axis was found to move by rather more than could be explained by precession and the gravitational attraction of the other planets.
- As the tailwheel lifts during the takeoff run, gyroscopic precession tries to turn the plane left of centerline.
- Example sentences
- Classical mechanics, in contrast, predicted that the atomic magnets would precess in the field but remain randomly oriented, so the deflections would only broaden (but not split) the beam.
- If we take a single spin 1/2 particle, and put it in a magnetic field, the spin precesses.
- Over just a few months they could actually detect the orbit of the binary system precessing, slowly dragging around.
- Example sentences
- So we are likely to see precessional magnetic switching used for phones and cameras in the near future.
- The rate of change in the direction of the rotational axis is the ratio of torque to angular momentum and so gives a value for the precessional constant.
- That is, if some of the Earth's energy were to be diverted into a slightly larger precessional wobble, the rate of spin should slow down slightly as a consequence.
Pronunciation: /prēˈses/ /ˈprēˌses/verb
Definition of precession in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan