Definition of precocial in English:
1(Of a young bird or other animal) hatched or born in an advanced state and able to feed itself almost immediately. Also called nidifugous. Often contrasted with altricial.
- Young in precocial birds that are fed by their parents also engage in vocal and postural begging displays.
- The young are precocial and are tended by both parents.
- Males leave the females soon after incubation begins, and females provide uniparental care for precocial young.
1.1(Of a particular species) having precocial young.
- Lack proposed that for species with precocial young, mean clutch size is determined by the average amount of nutrients available to females at the time of egg production.
- We predicted that species with precocial newborn should have synchronized births as an antipredator strategy.
Definition of precocial in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan