Definition of prepotent in English:
1.1(Of a breeding animal) showing great effectiveness in transmitting hereditary characteristics to its offspring.
- My observations have been that stud fee is usually a fixed number (in my experience about 50% of a typical pet puppy, although it may approach 100% for popular, prepotent sires.
- Example sentences
- The Cleveland Bay's accomplishments and their prepotency prompted their use as foundation stock or improvement sires for other breeds.
- It seems obvious that these animals are trapped by strong instinctive behaviors, and clearly we have here a demonstration of the prepotency of such behavior patterns over those which have been conditioned.
- Prior to February 2000, there were three different and competing staff organizations that could claim prepotency in Korea.
Late Middle English: from Latin praepotent- 'having greater power', from prae 'before, ahead' + posse 'be able'.
Definition of prepotent in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.