Definition of prepotent in English:
1.1(Of a breeding animal) showing great effectiveness in transmitting hereditary characteristics to its offspring.
- My observations have been that stud fee is usually a fixed number (in my experience about 50% of a typical pet puppy, although it may approach 100% for popular, prepotent sires.
late Middle English: from Latin praepotent- 'having greater power', from prae 'before, ahead' + posse 'be able'.
- Example sentences
- The Cleveland Bay's accomplishments and their prepotency prompted their use as foundation stock or improvement sires for other breeds.
- It seems obvious that these animals are trapped by strong instinctive behaviors, and clearly we have here a demonstration of the prepotency of such behavior patterns over those which have been conditioned.
- Prior to February 2000, there were three different and competing staff organizations that could claim prepotency in Korea.
Definition of prepotent in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan