Uncritical adherence to present-day attitudes, especially the tendency to interpret past events in terms of modern values and concepts.
- For example, A. N. Prior, in seeking to mount a defense of presentism - the doctrine that there are no future or past objects - encountered the problem of individuals that no longer exist.
- There are two camps opposed to presentism, the camp that says the past and present are real, and the camp that says the past, present, and future are real.
- First, the individual must have the capacity to live in the moment or a sense of presentism; gratification must be immediate and functionally specific because there is no tomorrow in the world of fashion or desire.
- Example sentences
- It is not, however, over-ambition that causes Terry to come unstuck but rather her openly presentist view of historical method which she proudly displays in her introduction.
- Moreover, while frequent use of presentist terminology may aid in understanding, it risks misconstruing the nineteenth century.
- And all these presentist criteria for knowledge have been used.
Definition of presentism in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.