- 1The action of preserving something: the preservation of the city’s green spaces food preservationMore example sentences
- Chilling or freezing was originally only available as a method of food preservation to those with a ready supply of ice.
- In the ancient world, herbs were valued as much for food preservation as they were for flavor.
- In the days before refrigeration and canning, salt was one of the only methods of food preservation.
- 1.1The state of being preserved, especially to a specified degree: the homestead is in a fine state of preservationMore example sentences
- The fine preservation is due to the silicification of chert in which it was embedded.
- As well as ensuring the long-term preservation of these buildings, the work will greatly improve access to the site.
- But it is Machu Picchu's remarkable unity and state of preservation that are so satisfying to a visitor.
late Middle English: via Old French from medieval Latin praeservatio(n-), from late Latin praeservare 'to keep' (see preserve).