A substance used to preserve foodstuffs, wood, or other materials against decay.
- The scheme can only accept household paint and not car paint, varnish, wood preservatives or other chemicals.
- That's it; there are no preservatives, and the garlic is packed in ordinary jars.
- Food additives, such as preservatives and colourants, can also cause skin rashes and wheezing.
Acting to preserve something: the preservative effects of freezing
More example sentences
- Doesn't their shape have a preservative effect?
- The Jews would have been familiar with the preservative effects of salt.
- While I'm a relative fan of meat, sausages tend to be stacked with salt, and also may contain preservative chemicals which have been linked with an increased risk of cancer.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of preservative in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.