Definition of prestigious in English:
- The success of these schools can be attributed to the prestigious status accorded to Spanish.
- Two brave bobbies have been honoured for their courage at a prestigious award ceremony in London.
- Just a few short months ago I was thrilled to be awarded a column in a prestigious newspaper.
- Example sentences
- This ranking could not have been achieved if it weren't for the prestigiously hard working and responsible students that attend this institution.
- You spend any time with him and you realize he is a prestigiously talented person with an extraordinary record.
- Quite odd you're already so prestigiously looked at, being only thirty-four years old, and one of the richest men in the world.
Mid 16th century (in the sense 'practicing legerdemain'): from late Latin praestigiosus, from praestigiae 'conjuring tricks'. The current sense dates from the early 20th century.
Words that rhyme with prestigiousirreligious, litigious, prodigious, religious, sacrilegious
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.