- A wind from the direction that is predominant at a particular place or season.More example sentences
- As for the wind dispersion, the prevailing winds are mostly easterly.
- Coral islands are usually a fairly standard shape, roughly circular or elliptical, curving this way or that on the surrounding reef according to the direction of the prevailing winds.
- The North Atlantic is unusually salty, because the location of mountains and the direction of prevailing winds lead to the export of water vapor from the Atlantic to the Pacific Ocean.
More definitions of prevailing windDefinition of prevailing wind in:
- The British & World English dictionary