- The imprisonment of a person with the aim of preventing them from committing further offenses or of maintaining public order.More example sentences
- The Supreme Court of Canada has upheld the constitutionality of provisions authorizing preventive detention for the purpose of protecting public safety.
- That option is administrative detention, also known as preventive detention, or internment.
- The right of appeal is critical to any preventive detention policy, especially for U.S. citizen detainees.
More definitions of preventive detentionDefinition of preventive detention in:
- The British & World English dictionary