Definition of prickly-ash in English:
1A spiny North American shrub or tree with prickly branches and bark that can be used medicinally.
- Genus Zanthoxylum, family Rutaceae: the northern prickly-ash (Z. americanum) (also called toothache tree), and the southern prickly-ash (see Hercules-club)
- The tropical prickly ash has a temperate equivalent called the toothache tree.
- Tropical plants here include two species of wild coffee, pigeon berry or rouge-plant, prickly ash, marlberry, and colicwood.
- Aggressive planting of hawthorn, pyracantha, creeping juniper, holly, Chinese jujube, roses, blackthorn or prickly ash will help deter criminals.
1.1A medicinal preparation of the bark of the prickly-ash.
- Other general herbs to help support digestion and circulation are prickly ash which supports peripheral circulation, particularly a foggy brain, and rosemary similarly.
- The historic use of prickly ash includes it as a medicine for intermittent claudication, Raynaud's disease, peripheral vascular insufficiency and muscle cramps.
- Northern prickly ash, Zanthoxylum americanum, is a traditional phytomedicine used by North American First Nations Peoples as a topical agent for the treatment of skin infections including those caused by pathogenic fungi.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.