noun (plural prie-dieux /ˈdyə(r)(z), -ˈdyœ(z) /)
- A piece of furniture for use during prayer, consisting of a kneeling surface and a narrow upright front with a rest for the elbows or for books.More example sentences
- Opposite these, says Patricia, are three chairs and prie-dieux and servers' stalls.
- Kneeling at the prie-dieu, I had only a few minutes, certainly no more than ten, to think what I wanted to think and pray what I wanted to pray in this moment I had so long anticipated and so irrationally hoped would never come.
- The rest were collected by Mrs. Gardner, and they can ordinarily be seen where she put them, at various places throughout her museum-in one of the two chapels, or on a stairway landing, or mounted on top of a prie-dieu.
mid 18th century: French, literally 'pray God'.
More definitions of prie-dieuDefinition of prie-dieu in:
- The British & World English dictionary