Definition of prima donna in English:
1The chief female singer in an opera or opera company.
- But, there is no denying the fact that she has been among the first among equals to replace Lata Mangeshkar or Asha Bhonsale in being the prima donna of female playback singing.
- There's even audience participation when their prima donna, Madam Rodrigue, comes onstage.
- Thus Sandor quickly finds himself forced to save the skin of his prima donna, the heart of his composer and soul of his operetta.
1.1A very temperamental person with an inflated view of their own talent or importance.
- His prima-donna star has walked off his latest movie, which looks increasingly like his last picture.
- Architects can help a little in all such areas, but only if they forget their prima-donna role and learn from the poor, who can be (far from always) remarkably ingenious and inventive with the slender resources they can command.
- This prima donna's behaviour has become so appalling that her colleagues have started making official complaints about her.
- Example sentences
- Now turn it in and stop getting all prima donna-ish.
- A more prima donna-ish showman might not appreciate such active involvement of his fans but there is nothing aloof about JD and he actively encourages his audience to join in.
- It does seem sort of prima donna-ish to play up the fact that, in some circles at least, you're well-enough known that a resume is not necessary.
Late 18th century: Italian, literally 'first lady'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.