- The strongest accent in a word or breath group. Compare with secondary stress.More example sentences
- A secondary stress after the primary stress is an unreduced syllable in the tail of the tone group.
- The unstressed syllables don't matter as long as the number of primary stresses remains constant from line to line.
- To discover where primary stress goes in the words in this exercise, speak each word aloud and place special emphasis on the syllable that you think should be stressed.
More definitions of primary stressDefinition of primary stress in:
- The British & World English dictionary