Definition of privy council in English:
A body of advisers or private counselors appointed by a sovereign or a governor general (now chiefly on an honorary basis and including present and former government ministers).
- The Privy Council is an unelected body; constitutionally it is answerable only to the reigning monarch.
- The reference by the Prime Minister to the Privy Council is merely a sop to overactive consciences.
- I have noted that there have been no appointments to the Privy Council in terms of members of this House.
privy councilor noun
- Example sentences
- But his decision to make ten of his twenty-one privy councilors women was yet another unheard of innovation.
- The privy councilor presided over the competition and presented the winning team with the revered King's Cup Trophy.
- He said he and officials felt very grateful for suggestions and moral support given by the privy councilor.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan