Definition of probenecid in English:
A synthetic compound that promotes increased excretion of uric acid and is used to treat gout.
- Chemical formula C13H19NO4S
- There are two classes of drugs to reduce uric acid: uricosurics, such as probenecid, which increases excretion, and xanthine oxidase inhibitors, such as allopurinol, which reduce production.
- Parenteral treatment refused: amoxycillin 500 mg four times a day plus probenecid 500 mg four times a day for 14 days
- Administration of this drug with probenecid should be avoided as it has been found to inhibit the renal excretion of meropenem.
1950s: from pro(pyl) + ben(zoic) + -e- + (a)cid.
Definition of probenecid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.