Definition of probenecid in English:
A synthetic compound that promotes increased excretion of uric acid and is used to treat gout.
- Chemical formula C13H19NO4S
- There are two classes of drugs to reduce uric acid: uricosurics, such as probenecid, which increases excretion, and xanthine oxidase inhibitors, such as allopurinol, which reduce production.
- Parenteral treatment refused: amoxycillin 500 mg four times a day plus probenecid 500 mg four times a day for 14 days
- Administration of this drug with probenecid should be avoided as it has been found to inhibit the renal excretion of meropenem.
1950s: from pro(pyl) + ben(zoic) + -e- + (a)cid.
Definition of probenecid in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia