Definition of processional in English:
Of, for, or used in a religious or ceremonial procession: a processional cross
More example sentences
- Any of these late-medieval processional crosses can be experienced as an example of craftsmanship in wood and metal, like a Faberge egg, or considered in terms of its design and the interplay of its various components.
- After attending a festive celebration at one suburban parish, he sent a note to the pastor, telling him to place a corpus on the processional cross and to reconfigure the tilt of the altar to conform to church rubrics.
- The Baroque section features religious sculpture, including processional figures, ritual liturgical objects and private devotional altars.
nounBack to top
1.1A hymn or other piece of music sung or played during a religious procession.
- Also, McIlvaine ‘used his episcopal authority to limit processionals, surpliced choirs, and other musical innovations’.
- This Wesley hymn makes a wonderful processional for this festival day.
- It is best sung as a processional or the final hymn in the service. Sing at a moderate tempo.
Definition of processional in:
- British & World English dictionary