- (Of a spheroid) lengthened in the direction of a polar diameter. Often contrasted with oblate1.More example sentences
- This ratio suggests that the enzyme-inhibitor complex can be described as prolate ellipsoid, for reasons discussed before.
- Hydrodynamic and small angle x-ray scattering measurements show that plant MSP has an extended, prolate ellipsoid shape in solution.
- Its shape resembles that of a prolate ellipsoid.
late 17th century: from Latin prolatus 'carried forward', past participle of proferre 'prolong', from pro- 'forward' + ferre 'carry'.
More definitions of prolateDefinition of prolate in:
- The British & World English dictionary