Definition of promoter in English:
1A person or thing that promotes something, in particular.
- The fund raiser has been running now for over ten years and the committees extend thanks to all their supporters and promoters for their continued commitment.
- A sincere thank you is extended to all the promoters and supporters for their very efficient work over the last few months.
- The organisers extend thanks to promoters and all supporters.
1.1A person or company that finances or organizes a sporting event or theatrical production: a boxing promoter
More example sentences
- He was also an events promoter, notably organizing the Star Wars convention held in Montreal in '99.
- The runners up will also benefit, as just reaching the final brings them to the attention of agents, concert promoters and recording companies.
- Event organizers, music promoters and managers have the power to decide fees for each artist.
1.2A person involved in setting up and funding a new company.
- The prominent accountant, company promoter, and Member of Parliament supported the change.
- Before you hand over any money or sign an agreement, ask the promoter about the stages involved, such as research, marketing and licensing, and any associated costs.
- Problems arose when it emerged that one of the promoters and a substantial shareholder in the company had been debarred from acting as a director in Britain.
1.3A supporter of a cause or aim: Mitterrand was a fierce promoter of European integration
More example sentences
- To establish that divine creation deserved such support, its promoters had to convince the court that a non-Christian would find the case as convincing as the secular alternatives.
- He was a keen promoter and supporter of the Gaelic language and thoroughly enjoyed visiting the Western Isles to improve his command of the language.
- The Rocky Mountain Institute, a leading promoter of alternative energy technology in Snowmass, Colorado, has embraced this strategy.
1.4 (also promotor) Chemistry An additive that increases the activity of a catalyst.
- However, in tobacco the same promoter directed GUS activity uniformly to the whole embryo.
- Low activity for both promoters was also observed in the early stages of seed germination and in young seedlings.
- With the full promoter, GUS activity was predominantly in the gland cell, with less in the stalk cell adjacent to the gland, and in lower stalk cells.
1.5 Biology A region of a DNA molecule that forms the site at which transcription of a gene starts.
- The pattern of reporter gene expression exactly matches that of the trapped gene since its transcription starts from the promoter of this gene.
- A second regulatory protein has been shown to interact specifically with the upstream regions of rRNA P1 promoters.
- Both genes are driven by the ubiquitin promoter (plus intron).
Words that rhyme with promoterbloater, boater, Botha, Dakota, doter, emoter, floater, gloater, iota, Kota, Minnesota, motor, quota, rota, rotor, scoter, voter
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.