Definition of promulgate in English:
- These ideas are widely promulgated in the academic/scholastic/public sectors.
- She knows some people will think her a spoilsport for promulgating these ideas, especially in Australia where ‘an English garden’ with borders and lawns is still the gardening aspiration of many.
- The seminar also promulgates the idea of virtuous circles of economic growth, where migrants send money back home, creating more circles.
- First, in 1983, a revision of the Catholic Church's Code of Canon Law was officially promulgated.
- A long series of negotiations ensued, resulting in a new constitution promulgated into law in December 1993.
- Prior to the operation, the government promulgated a special ordinance to speed up legal proceedings.
Mid 16th century: from Latin promulgat- 'exposed to public view', from the verb promulgare, from pro- 'out, publicly' + mulgere 'cause to come forth' (literally 'to milk').
- Example sentences
- It is readily apparent from the materials considered thus far that the Community has power to advance policy through the promulgation of regulations, directives, and decisions.
- The cabinet has cleared the promulgation of an ordinance amending the Debt Recovery Tribunal Act to simplify the process of claims by banks and financial institutions.
- Civil society, human rights, civil liberty organisations, minority groups and opposition parties were not consulted before promulgation of the ordinance.
- Example sentences
- Whether or not you believe that public institutions should withdraw facilities from organisations, merely because they are promulgators of racism, the following three points are clear.
- What is this ‘rote defense of liberalism’ and who are its promulgators?
- Far from being a destroyer of the written word, the Internet, with Google as a leading vehicle, will prove to be its great support and egalitarian promulgator.
Words that rhyme with promulgateelongate • toll gate
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.