- A red or brown resinous substance collected by honeybees from tree buds, used by them to fill crevices and to seal and varnish honeycombs.More example sentences
- ‘They mix it with saliva, pollen and beeswax to form propolis, a resinous yellow-brown to dark brown substance,’ she said.
- Natural honey-bee products such as propolis, royal jelly, caffeic acid, honey and venom may have applications in cancer treatment and prevention, say researchers.
- The jars are all capped with pieces of honeycomb, wax and propolis.
early 17th century: via Latin from Greek propolis 'suburb', also 'bee glue', from pro 'before' + polis 'city'.
More definitions of propolisDefinition of propolis in:
- The British & World English dictionary