Definition of proportionable in English:
Archaic term for proportional.
- In concluding their report, the consultants stated the inescapable reality was that, for the foreseeable future, car travel will continue to grow in both absolute and proportionable terms.
- The division of labour, however, so far as it can be introduced, occasions, in every art, a proportionable increase of the productive powers of labour.
- A worm of proportionable enormity had bored a hole in the shell.
- Example sentences
- But wherever you depart, in the least, from the similarity of the cases, you diminish proportionably the evidence; and may at last bring it to a very weak analogy, which is confessedly liable to error and uncertainty.
- As the minuteness of the parts formed a great hindrance to my speed, I resolved, contrary to my first intention, to make the being of a gigantic stature; that is to say, about eight feet in height, and proportionably large.
- In like manner, all the graces of the Spirit grow proportionably, by the special influences of divine grace.
Definition of proportionable in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.