1Corresponding in size or amount to something else: the punishment should be proportional to the crime
More example sentences
- The amounts produced are proportional to the size of the gland, whether this is increased benignly or by prostate cancer.
- As such the amount paid in fees, proportional to the amount under management, has continued to increase.
- The amount of tiles left out will be proportional to the size of the tile.
1.1 Mathematics (Of a variable quantity) having a constant ratio to another quantity.
- The ratio of the squares of the periods of two planets is directly proportional to the ratio of the cubes of the radii of their orbits.
- Gravitational force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between two objects.
- Instead the heat is inversely proportional to the square of the distance.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.