Definition of propranolol in English:
A synthetic compound that acts as a beta blocker and is used mainly in the treatment of cardiac arrhythmia.
- Chemical formula: C16H21NO2
- The beta blockers, including propranolol, nadolol, atenolol, metoprolol, and timolol, are effective but may cause fatigue, sleep disorders, and decreased exercise tolerance.
- Drug interactions have been shown to occur with alprazolam, warfarin, theophylline, propranolol, and tricyclic antidepressants.
- Beta blockers like propranolol or metoprolol also affect sleep.
1960s: from pro(pyl) + pr(op)anol, with the reduplication of -ol.
Definition of propranolol in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan