Definition of propranolol in English:
A synthetic compound that acts as a beta blocker and is used mainly in the treatment of cardiac arrhythmia.
- Chemical formula: C16H21NO2
- The beta blockers, including propranolol, nadolol, atenolol, metoprolol, and timolol, are effective but may cause fatigue, sleep disorders, and decreased exercise tolerance.
- Drug interactions have been shown to occur with alprazolam, warfarin, theophylline, propranolol, and tricyclic antidepressants.
- Beta blockers like propranolol or metoprolol also affect sleep.
1960s: from pro(pyl) + pr(op)anol, with the reduplication of -ol.
Definition of propranolol in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.