noun[as modifier] Chemistry
- Of or denoting the alkyl radical —C3H7, derived notionally from propane. Compare with isopropyl.More example sentences
- The propyl group is a functional group derived from propane by the removal of a hydrogen atom.
- The family's common names follow the standard alkane hydrocarbon sequence: methyl paraben, ethyl paraben, propyl paraben, butyl paraben, etc.
- Peak concentrations of propyl nitrate and butyl nitrate in south-central Kansas were 51 and 68 parts per trillion, respectively.
More definitions of propylDefinition of propyl in:
- The British & World English dictionary