A piece of writing in prose having obvious poetic qualities, including intensity, compactness, prominent rhythms, and imagery.
- For Stephane Mallarme, the prose poem afforded a pretext to digress or pursue a detour; La Pipe is a fine pre-Proustian exploration of the involuntary memory.
- I remember being particularly influenced by e. e. cummings, by Kenneth Patchen, and by a Baudelaire prose poem I translated.
- The prose poem as surreal fable seemed a compelling option.
prose poetry noun
- Example sentences
- These final observations recall Eliot's claim for prose poetry - that it is a difficult but rewarding form if the attentive reader persists.
- I would say that the level of craft is high throughout, whether it be in visually acute poetry, prose poetry, or rhythmically intense verse.
- Not only does the work fall prey to purple prose and bad prose poetry on more than a few occasions, there are other moments when the work is just too mannered.
For editors and proofreaders
Syllabification: prose po·em
Definition of prose poem in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.