Definition of protagonist in English:
- The protagonist of Conrad's novel undergoes a drastic change in response to his environment, common only to that specific time period.
- The protagonist of Hemingway's novel, Jake Barnes, is impotent.
- She also wrote several novels with mixed-race protagonists.
- He is doing a feature film on speech codes and political correctness on campus, with interviews directly from the protagonists in the various situations he investigated.
- His approach is not to hero-worship the main protagonists, but to show the struggle of human beings in a historical context.
- It opened dramatically, with a huge sheet of dark polythene reshaping itself from sea, to chiefs, to land and then figures of the Treaty protagonists.
- It was a quite important issue, and I thank Mr Peck, because he came up with the idea of bringing the protagonists and the antagonists into a debate situation to really get to the nitty-gritty of it.
- The leading protagonists on each side traded barbs as they discussed changes that would open the door to challenging evolution.
- How might we compare the protagonists in the current debate about marriage with those in the earlier one?
late 17th century: from Greek prōtagōnistēs, from prōtos 'first in importance' + agōnistēs 'actor'.
The first sense of protagonist, as originally used in connection with ancient Greek drama, is ‘the main character in a play.’ In the early 20th century, a new sense arose meaning ‘a supporter of a cause’: a strenuous protagonist of the new agricultural policy. This new sense probably arose by analogy with antagonist, the pro- in protagonist being interpreted as meaning ‘in favor of.’ In fact, the prot- in protagonist derives from the Greek root meaning ‘first.’ Protagonist is best used in its original dramatic, theatrical sense, not as a synonym for supporter or proponent. Further, because of its basic meaning of ‘leading character,’ such usage as the play’s half-dozen protagonists were well cast blurs the word’s distinctiveness; characters, instead of protagonists, would be more precise.