An evergreen shrub or small tree with large nectar-rich conelike flower heads surrounded by brightly colored bracts, chiefly native to South Africa.
- Genus Protea, family Proteaceae: many species, including P. repens, which was formerly used as a source of sweet syrup
More example sentences
- Rather brace yourself for bunches of fresh arum lilies, proteas, flame lilies and aloe leaves.
- Native to the southern hemisphere and predominantly found and grown in South Africa, proteas produce bright, exotic looking flowers sought after by the cut-flower industry.
- The expanse of space south of Arcadia up the steep ridge will, over a period of some 20 years, be denuded of its black wattles and gum trees, and be replaced with indigenous acacias and proteas.
modern Latin, from Proteus, with reference to the many species of the genus.
Definition of protea in:
- The British & World English dictionary