Definition of protea in English:
An evergreen shrub or small tree with large nectar-rich conelike flower heads surrounded by brightly colored bracts, chiefly native to South Africa.
- Genus Protea, family Proteaceae: many species, including P. repens, which was formerly used as a source of sweet syrup
- Rather brace yourself for bunches of fresh arum lilies, proteas, flame lilies and aloe leaves.
- Native to the southern hemisphere and predominantly found and grown in South Africa, proteas produce bright, exotic looking flowers sought after by the cut-flower industry.
- The expanse of space south of Arcadia up the steep ridge will, over a period of some 20 years, be denuded of its black wattles and gum trees, and be replaced with indigenous acacias and proteas.
Definition of protea in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.