Definition of protea in English:
An evergreen shrub or small tree with large nectar-rich conelike flower heads surrounded by brightly colored bracts, chiefly native to South Africa.
- Genus Protea, family Proteaceae: many species, including P. repens, which was formerly used as a source of sweet syrup
- Rather brace yourself for bunches of fresh arum lilies, proteas, flame lilies and aloe leaves.
- Native to the southern hemisphere and predominantly found and grown in South Africa, proteas produce bright, exotic looking flowers sought after by the cut-flower industry.
- The expanse of space south of Arcadia up the steep ridge will, over a period of some 20 years, be denuded of its black wattles and gum trees, and be replaced with indigenous acacias and proteas.
Words that rhyme with proteaYakutia • frontier • Althea
Definition of protea in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan