The theory or practice of shielding a country’s domestic industries from foreign competition by taxing imports.
More example sentences
- Moreover, the smaller the country, the greater will be the pressure to opt for free trade rather than protectionism.
- He tried to persuade organized labor that free trade and not protectionism was in its interests.
- We don't have to choose between strict protectionism and unregulated free trade.
protectionist noun& adjective
- More example sentences
- All this leads to a myriad of various political economies with abundant protectionist features.
- The economic consequences of protectionist policies and of the trend toward autarky are the same for all countries.
- The opponents of world bureaucracies, no matter how much they favored free trade, were called isolationists and protectionists - words drawn from recent war propaganda.
Definition of protectionism in:
- The British & World English dictionary