Definition of protectionism in English:
The theory or practice of shielding a country’s domestic industries from foreign competition by taxing imports.
- Moreover, the smaller the country, the greater will be the pressure to opt for free trade rather than protectionism.
- He tried to persuade organized labor that free trade and not protectionism was in its interests.
- We don't have to choose between strict protectionism and unregulated free trade.
- Example sentences
- All this leads to a myriad of various political economies with abundant protectionist features.
- The economic consequences of protectionist policies and of the trend toward autarky are the same for all countries.
- The opponents of world bureaucracies, no matter how much they favored free trade, were called isolationists and protectionists - words drawn from recent war propaganda.
Definition of protectionism in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.