noun (plural protheses /-ˌsēz/)
- 1 Christian Church (Especially in the Orthodox Church) the action of placing the Eucharistic elements on the credence table.More example sentences
- Now what is a table of prothesis doing in a church?
- 1.1A credence table.More example sentences
- The faithful do not even see the full altar; the prothesis where the gifts are prepared-without any obvious participation by the laity-is entirely out of sight.
- 2 another term for prosthesis ( sense 2).
late 16th century (sense 2): from Greek, 'placing before or in public view', from pro 'before' + thesis 'placing'.
More definitions of prothesisDefinition of prothesis in:
- The British & World English dictionary