Definition of prothonotary warbler in English:
A North American warbler, the male of which has a golden-yellow head, breast, and underparts.
- Protonotaria citrea, subfamily Parulinae, family Emberizidae
- The Connecticut Rare Bird Alert, a recorded telephone announcement, sometimes brings news of a prothonotary warbler or a Kentucky in the vicinity.
- One prothonotary warbler does not make a May Day, but Shakespeare has bare ruined choirs full of them.
- Then we turn into a driveway-width water-lane, drifting along under arching tupelos and willows in new leaf, startled only by the emphatic song of prothonotary warblers.
Late 18th century: named with reference to the saffron color of the robes worn by clerks to the pope (see Protonotary Apostolic).
Definition of prothonotary warbler in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.