Definition of proton in English:
A stable subatomic particle occurring in all atomic nuclei, with a positive electric charge equal in magnitude to that of an electron, but of opposite sign.
- Overall, atoms are neutral and the number of protons in their nuclei equals the number of electrons.
- The matter was composed primarily of an ionized gas of electrons, protons, and helium nuclei.
- An alpha particle consists of two protons and two neutrons; it is the nucleus of a helium atom.
1920s: from Greek, neuter of prōtos 'first'.
- Example sentences
- The organic purity of the organoarsenic species was determined by protonic nuclear magnetic resonance.
- The rate of the former, productive reaction is determined by the protonic conductance of the consumer.
- It consists of an interdependence between the electronic and protonic captures, which results from electrostatic interactions between redox and protonatable groups.
Words that rhyme with protonphoton
Definition of proton in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan