Definition of protonate in English:
verb[with object] Chemistry
Transfer a proton to (a molecule, group, or atom), so that a coordinate bond to the proton is formed.
- In the second basic photocycle step, the chromophore is protonated and structural changes take place in the protein.
- All aspartic acid and glutamic acid residues as well as C-terminal groups were deprotonated; arginine, lysine, and N-terminal groups were protonated.
- We postulate that this pathway is blocked when both groups are protonated (state A) or deprotonated (state C).
- Example sentences
- This reaction is initiated by the electrophilic protonation of isobutylene.
- These reactions, some of which are run on a large scale in the petroleum industry, are initiated by the protonation of saturated hydrocarbons.
- The protonation of amino acid side chains was supposed to cause the reorganization of the native state into the so-called A-state.
Definition of protonate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan