1A phylum or group of phyla that comprises the single-celled microscopic animals, which include amoebas, flagellates, ciliates, sporozoans, and many other forms. They are now usually treated as a number of phyla belonging to the kingdom Protista.
- The first edition's chapter on Protozoa recognized 7 phyla.
- This view is based on the early idea that sponges are grouped with the Protozoa.
1.1 (as plural noun protozoa) Organisms of the Protozoa group.
- Instead, higher decomposition of organic matter might lead to higher populations of bacteria, protozoa, and organisms using these as food supply, which in turn can be consumed by zooplankton.
- Microbiological contaminants, including protozoa, bacteria and viruses, are normally killed by chlorinating and other treatment.
- From 6 to 26 nucleotide repeats have been identified in the chromosomal ends of Protozoa, fungi, nematodes, plants, and vertebrates.
Definition of Protozoa in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.