Definition of proventriculus in English:
noun (plural proventriculi-ˌlī-ˌlē)Zoology
1The narrow glandular first region of a bird’s stomach between the crop and the gizzard.
- The proventriculus and gizzard are small, and the lower esophagus is sacculated, which delays passage of particles into the lower gut where additional fermentation occurs in the paired ceca.
- Ingesta from the proventriculus and gizzard were preserved in 75% alcohol and examined under a dissecting scope.
- Parents sustain themselves during incubation on energy stored as body fat and lipid-rich stomach oil in the proventriculus.
1.1The thick-walled muscular expansion of the esophagus above the stomach of crustaceans and insects.
- Enhanced levels of expression are seen in older embryos adjacent to the segmental involutions (C, arrowheads) and in the salivary glands, proventriculus, and somatic musculature.
- Four tunnels off the lumen of the proventriculus of the carpenter bee, Xylocopa virginica virginica, have been discovered.
- The proventriculus of the worker honeybee is an organ which effects a highly efficient separation of pollen grains from the medium in which they are suspended.
Definition of proventriculus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.