Definition of proventriculus in English:
noun (plural proventriculi /-ˌlī, -ˌlē/)Zoology
1The narrow glandular first region of a bird’s stomach between the crop and the gizzard.
- The proventriculus and gizzard are small, and the lower esophagus is sacculated, which delays passage of particles into the lower gut where additional fermentation occurs in the paired ceca.
- Ingesta from the proventriculus and gizzard were preserved in 75% alcohol and examined under a dissecting scope.
- Parents sustain themselves during incubation on energy stored as body fat and lipid-rich stomach oil in the proventriculus.
1.1The thick-walled muscular expansion of the esophagus above the stomach of crustaceans and insects.
- Enhanced levels of expression are seen in older embryos adjacent to the segmental involutions (C, arrowheads) and in the salivary glands, proventriculus, and somatic musculature.
- Four tunnels off the lumen of the proventriculus of the carpenter bee, Xylocopa virginica virginica, have been discovered.
- The proventriculus of the worker honeybee is an organ which effects a highly efficient separation of pollen grains from the medium in which they are suspended.
Definition of proventriculus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia