- 1Causing annoyance; irritating: there is evidence of provoking conduct and loss of self-controlMore example sentences
- It was a strange, provoking, deliberately self-contradictory tale, which instantly sparked heated commentary.
- But according to Iraqi exiles, the jubilation in Baghdad was low key, perhaps to avoid provoking reprisals.
- I know nothing about Discordians or Discordian theory, so I am intrigued as to what it was that you found so provoking?
- 2 [in combination] Giving rise to the specified reaction or emotion: fear-provoking laughter-provokingMore example sentences
- The challenges he faces in writing a new-age bestseller are thought provoking.
- Its examination of the concept of non-violent action is thought provoking.
- But I found the Guardian Leader articles on Tuesday and today extremely thought provoking and useful.
- More example sentences
- We had a group discussion provokingly titled ‘Can a poor country like India afford the big brand advertising budgets?’, wherein I vociferously argued against big brand advertising budgets.
- I had opened the cap of a mineral water bottle while travelling in a train when a person seated opposite me asked provokingly: ‘How do you know the bottled water is pure?’
- There's something at once provokingly unreal yet disturbingly natural in Tobin's modular streamlined music bricolage.