Definition of pseudomembrane in English:
A layer of exudate resembling a membrane, formed on the surface of the skin or of a mucous membrane, especially the conjunctiva.
- Interestingly, pseudomembranes with Aspergillus fungal organisms were also identified within necrotizing pseudomembranes of the tracheobronchial mucosa.
- Development of pseudomembranes in the gastrointestinal tract during acute inflammatory or vascular diseases has been confined to the small and/or large bowel, with rare occurrences in the esophagus.
- In severe exposure, necrosis of the respiratory epithelium leads to formation of a pseudomembrane, bronchial plugging, and bronchopneumonia.
- Example sentences
- The first description of pseudomembranous lesions in the gastrointestinal tract was by Finney in 1883.1 The patient was a 22-year-old woman who had a tumor resected from the stomach.
- Bacterial tracheitis (also called pseudomembranous croup) is an uncommon infection that usually occurs in children and has a severe, rapidly progressive course.
- The patient was a 64-year-old woman with end-stage renal disease and sepsis who underwent colonoscopy to evaluate the possibility of pseudomembranous colitis.
Definition of pseudomembrane in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia