Definition of pseudoscience in English:
A collection of beliefs or practices mistakenly regarded as being based on scientific method.
- The particular belief or the pseudoscience may be different in each country but the need for a skeptical response is vital.
- We see that 'Shroud science' - like 'creation science' and other pseudosciences in the service of dogma - begins with the desired answer and works backward to the evidence.
- Scientific studies of these pseudosciences demonstrate that they are not valid personality assessment tools, yet each has many satisfied customers who are convinced they are accurate.
- Example sentences
- In his analysis of pseudoscientific thinking, Shermer identifies a number of characteristics that bolster faith in our current practices of medicating depression and anxiety.
- Some atheists accepted then-popular pseudoscientific racist views that the races exhibited varying levels of intellect due to differing genetic heritages.
- Other evangelicals have touted the film's gorgeous story as an example of intelligent design, the pseudoscientific doctrine that evolution is a myth.
- Example sentences
- Scientists don't want to take time ‘debunking,’ and pseudoscientists are generally unwilling to come to the table unless they set the terms, and often assume that the scales are automatically tipped against them.
- Shermer calls attention to the use of nonoperationalized and merely scientific-sounding phrases by many pseudoscientists.
- Many pseudoscientists relish being able to point out the consistency of their theories with known facts or with predicted consequences, but they do not recognize that such consistency is not proof of anything.
Definition of pseudoscience in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia