- Of, relating to, or denoting birds of the parrot family: psittacine beak and feather diseaseMore example sentences
- Psittacine beak and feather disease is a highly contagious and debilitating viral disease that affects wild and captive populations of psittacine birds.
- Among psittacine species, the Lilac-crowned Parrot had one of the lowest rates of overall nest success.
nounOrnithology Back to top
- A bird of the parrot family.More example sentences
- Possibly the most visually striking of all of the South American psittacines, the hawk-headed parrot, Deroptyus accipitrinus, is becoming more common in aviculture.
- It is no surprise that the Moluccan cockatoo suffers a deeper degree of imprinted behavior than other species of psittacines that are regularly hand-reared as intended pet birds.
- Green-rumped Parrotlets are small psittacines that inhabit forest edge, savanna, and pastures in northeastern South America.
late 19th century: from Latin psittacinus 'of a parrot', from psittacus, from Greek psittakos 'parrot'.
More definitions of psittacineDefinition of psittacine in:
- The British & World English dictionary