1Relating to or denoting drugs (especially LSD) that produce hallucinations and apparent expansion of consciousness.
- Hallucinogen researcher Charles Grob says psychedelic drugs have the potential to alter modern medicine.
- Two of the study respondents said that they had sought psychiatric assistance because of their psychedelic drug experiences.
- They said they had great respect for LSD and other psychedelic drugs, and were well aware of their potential dangers.
1.1Relating to or denoting a style of rock music originating in the mid 1960s, characterized by musical experimentation and drug-related lyrics.
- Tenor admits that he's always felt a bit of an outsider in life, and his music is as unconventional, bringing together influences ranging from jazz, easy listening and film music to psychedelic rock and cabaret.
- It sounds like kodo mixed with psychedelic rock and dance music, all improvised, but it's unclassifiable.
- In just three albums, he has defined his own recognisable sound, rooted in psychedelic rock, spiritual jazz and contemporary dance music, and spurted hordes of followers.
1.2Denoting or having an intense, vivid color or a swirling abstract pattern: a psychedelic T-shirt
More example sentences
- With inspirations from Morocco and India, designers love to have all the embellished details, psychedelic colours, rainbow prints and antique batik patterns in their new collections.
- Later, House of Jazz playfully lifted up the sternness of black by mixing it with psychedelic colours and black and white chequered-patterns, creating a collection that pleased especially the young generation.
- The psychedelic colours of Fish Fry brought out the best display of dramatics, fusion and theatrics.
colorful, chromatic, multicolored, vivid, abstract
A psychedelic drug.
- Our intuition tells us that using drugs use such as heroin, cocaine, psychedelics, hashish, and even marijuana and alcohol can have serious effects on our personal life and may have broader detrimental impacts on society at large.
- Siva's devotees are forbidden to use drugs of abuse, such as cocaine, heroin, amphetamines, barbiturates, psychedelics and marijuana, unless prescribed by a licensed physician.
- According to data from the federal government's National Survey on Drug Use and Health, some 90 percent of illicit OxyContin users have also used cocaine, psychedelics, and other painkillers.
- Example sentences
- His only attempt at creative cinematography is the scene where the camera shoots from Alexander's point of view as he looks up from his make-shift stretcher and sees an overexposed sky and the psychedelically electrified trees.
- 2005 Turner Prize nominee Jim Lambie presents a new installation of six enlarged ceramic, psychedelically enhanced birds in the exhibition Byrds.
- The psychedelically clad pop star elite sat cross-legged around the Maharishi.
Words that rhyme with psychedelicangelic, archangelic, evangelic, melic, melick, philatelic, relic
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.