A system of psychological theory and therapy that aims to treat mental disorders by investigating the interaction of conscious and unconscious elements in the mind and bringing repressed fears and conflicts into the conscious mind by techniques such as dream interpretation and free association.
- Thus, psychoanalysis became a technique of helping the patient to help him or herself.
- We learn from psychoanalysis that some part of our mind always knows or is perpetually in danger of knowing.
- Habermas follows Alfred Lorenzer, who treats psychoanalysis as a form of linguistic analysis.
psychoanalyze (British psychoanalyse) verb
- Example sentences
- And the only treatment they had was to attempt to psychoanalyse people, or psychotherapy, and it didn't work work of course, because it can't overcome that sort of brain dysfunction.
- ‘For the general public, psychologists are still seen as clinicians who psychoanalyze you to understand why you behave the way you do,’ says Pick.
- Most of us, when we hear the words ‘analytical psychology’, probably tend to think of Freud and Jung, and people lying on couches being psychoanalysed.
Words that rhyme with psychoanalysisanalysis, catalysis, dialysis, paralysis
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of psychoanalysis in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.