Definition of psychosurgery in English:
Brain surgery, such as lobotomy, used to treat mental disorder.
- But I doubt that many people would be aware that psychosurgery, or brain surgery, is being done to treat mental illness or behavioural problems today.
- But you can regard cosmetic surgery as being almost psychosurgery in that many of the conditions we are treating, even in people that are well adjusted, are in fact a psychological perception of aging of physical deformity.
- In general, that's sort of a fuzzy borderline between psychosurgery and neurological surgery.
- Example sentences
- There was a lot of suspicion that the Department of Justice was going to perform massive psychosurgical procedures on violent prisoners as a means of social control.
- Postoperative verification of radiosurgical lesions in white matter has been difficult to obtain with CT. With magnetic resonance (MR) imaging, however, lesions could be demonstrated in patients undergoing a psychosurgical procedure, gamma capsulotomy, for anxiety disorder.
Definition of psychosurgery in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan